Prospective & Returning Students

Appalachian State University offers transfer degree programs at the undergraduate level and both degree and certificate programs at the graduate level. Click on the links below and see how Distance Education connects you with the tools and resources for a more meaningful career.

Learn how to Keep your life... Change your future with Distance Education at Appalachian

Undergraduate Programs

All of Appalachian State University's undergraduate distance education programs are transfer programs and thus, offer only the upper division (junior and senior level) coursework. Prospective applicants should ensure that they have completed the required minimum lower division coursework at one or more regionally accredited institutions. Appalachian's general education requirement can be met by completing the associate in arts degree, associate in science degree or 44-Hour Core through a North Carolina Community College (note: the Summer 2014 semester is the last semester that which students can begin the 44 hour transfer core, and must maintain continuous enrollment at the community college as defined by their community college). Coursework for applicants who hold associate degrees from other states will be articulated on a course-by-course basis. Coursework completed for an associate in applied science degree is articulated and accepted on a course-by-course basis.

[Learn More]

Graduate Programs

All of Appalachian State University's graduate distance education programs (whether Add-on Teacher Licensure, Certificate, or Degree) require applicants to hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.

[Learn More]

Non-Degree/Teacher Licensure Only Students (e.g., RALC)

Students admitted for the purpose of taking courses to gain teacher licensure but are not seeking a degree should review the information found on this page before requesting course registration.

Learn More

Returning Student Admission

All students who have withdrawn before completing their academic program or who have not been continuously enrolled since admission must be formally reinstated. Review the steps to readmission on the Returning Student Admission link.

[Learn More]

Grievance and Appeals Procedures