Get ahead in your education without putting your life on hold. Distance Education at Appalachian State University offers a growing range of undergraduate programs to jumpstart you into the meaningful career of your dreams.
All of our undergraduate Distance Education programs are transfer programs, offering upper-division (junior and senior level) coursework. Prospective applicants should check their program of interest to ensure that they have completed the required minimum lower division coursework at one or more regionally accredited institutions.
Explore our options below.
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) (BS)
- Child Development - Birth through Kindergarten (BS)
- Communication Studies (BS)
- Communication, Advertising (BS)
- Elementary Education (BS)
- Management (BSBA)
- Middle Grades Education (BS)
- Nursing (RN-BSN)
- Social Work (BSW)
- Special Education (BS)
What you need to know as an undergraduate applicant
Transfer to Appalachian State University with confidence and earn your bachelor’s degree through one of our degree-completion Distance Education programs. We are here to answer your pre-application questions so you can fulfill your educational and career goals.
General education requirement
Classes included in Appalachian’s General Education requirement help you develop intellectual skills that will enhance your professional, civic and personal life for years to come. Some Distance Education transfer programs specify General Education be met prior to entry while others do not. Program specific information can be accessed by visiting our Undergraduate program pages.
Once you have been admitted to Appalachian, our transfer admissions evaluators will review your previously earned college credit and help you understand which courses transfer. You can also check for yourself which credits will likely transfer with our Pre-Application Evaluation.
Applicants to our undergraduate distance education programs are required to meet university transfer admission requirements.
Lower division requirements
Many undergraduate programs have lower division (freshman, sophomore level) course requirements. Lower division course requirements for specific programs can be found by visiting our Undergraduate program pages.
Teacher education requirements
Education degree students must meet the Reich College of Education Teacher Education Requirements by a specific deadline (typically within the first year of the program).
- Submission of acceptable Praxis I or Praxis CORE scores (allow at least 4 weeks for the scores to be received from ETS)
- Total college credit hours of at least 45 semester hours (transfer hours + Appalachian courses)
- Completed at least 12 semester hours and a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA (2.5 for those who enrolled prior to Fall 2016) on Appalachian State University coursework.
- Completed CI 2300 and FDN 2400 and an equivalent of ENG 1000 (ENG 111) with minimum grade of "C"
- No Incomplete grades
- Current (no older than 6 months) Criminal Background Check (students will be prompted to initiate this process after all other requirements listed above have been met)
- Completed and submitted Application for Admission to Teacher Education
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-262-3113.
If you are admitted to Appalachian State University for the purpose of taking courses to gain teacher licensure but are not seeking a degree, contact the Reich College of Education at 828-262-6107 for assistance.
Appalachian State University reserves the right to cancel the start of any Distance Education program due to the lack of sufficient, sustainable enrollment (typically 15 for graduate programs and 18 for undergraduate programs). In the event of a cancellation for insufficient enrollment, application fees will be refunded. Refunds will also be issued for any tuition and fees paid by applicants. These refund policies apply only to canceled programs. When program starts are delayed, students may opt for a refund or apply their application to the new semester. If you have any questions concerning this policy, contact email@example.com.