The online Master of Library Science at Appalachian
The Master of Library Science at Appalachian State University is a flexible, online program that helps you define your role as a leading information professional.
With a highly interactive curriculum designed to challenge and engage you while remaining convenient for the working professional, as a graduate of this Distance Education program, you will be uniquely prepared for a career in librarianship.
This program reflects Media Coordinator (School Librarian) competencies required by the state as well as Public Librarian Certification competencies of the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission.
Completion of the Master of Library Science program entitles the graduate to apply for licensure (076 Media Coordinator) from the State of North Carolina as well as Public Librarian Certification from the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission.
It is nationally recognized by the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) and nationally accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Distance Education at Appalachian: Empowering adult learners with the skills to land meaningful careers.
Coursework will be delivered online in two formats:
- Synchronous: One evening per week per class, students join their classmates and instructor for a three-hour class in real-time in virtual classroom.
- Asynchronous: Coursework may be completed on the student's own schedule, except for individualized online meetings with the instructor.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
NOTE: While it is recommended applicants have a North Carolina "A" Licensure or the equivalent from another state, it is not required. Additional online coursework is required for those without current licensure.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official (sealed) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Three references
- Application fee
- GRE or MAT scores no older than five years
|Semester Start||Application Deadline|
Out of State Licensure
Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.