The hybrid Master of Social Work degree at Appalachian
Appalachian State University’s Master of Social Work program serves as a launching pad to help you make a positive change in the community.
This Distance Education program provides you with advanced practice and intervention skills to empower yourself and others.
The Master of Social Work curriculum prepares you to step into management or supervisory roles, leading others to offer effective social work services.
Focus your studies on the area of greatest interest to you: community and organizational practice or individuals and families.
Find your purpose-oriented career with Distance Education at Appalachian.
- Instruction is delivered with some face-to-face instruction and some online instruction. The face to face component of the courses is taught in the evenings.
- This program is 33 hours for Advanced Standing students. If you have earned a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a CSWE-accredited university within the past seven years and have a 3.2 grade point average in you undergraduate courses, you may apply for the Advanced Standing program. If not, this program requires 60 hours.
- Completion time: Two years for Advanced Standing students; three years for non-Advanced Standing students.
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official (sealed) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- A personal statement
- Three references
- GRE score no older than five years
- Program selection form
|County||Location||Semester Start||Application Deadline|
|ASU Center at Hickory||Summer II 2018||Feb 1, 2018|
Out of State Licensure
Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.
Hear from an Alumnus
“I choose to pursue my MSW through the Distance Education program for the quality education in a local setting. It is an excellent professional program for any candidate interested in this graduate program.”
– Elissa Harrell