The face-to-face Master of Public Administration degree at Appalachian
The Master of Public Administration program at Appalachian State University provides the professional management tools and technical expertise needed to advance your public service career.
Gain presentation, administrative and communication skills, build networks across government and nonprofit organizations and make a bigger impact in your community.
Accredited by Network of School of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration (NASPAA), the Master of Public Administration program is ideally suited for mid-career professionals looking to take their next step. Join the more than 400 alumni of the MPA program throughout the region.
Distance Education at Appalachian: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Manager of a town, city or county government
- Executive director of a non-profit organization
- Department, division or agency director
- Human resources specialist
- Most courses are face-to-face with evening meeting times
- Some online elements will be integrated
- Completion time: 2.5 years
- Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to Distance Education students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have GMAT or GRE scores no older than five years (Click for entrance exam waiver eligibility)
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
Note: In addition, the program faculty will give preference to applicants who meet or exceed the following: If your undergraduate GPA is greater than 3.0 and/or your GRE/GMAT Verbal score is in the 25th percentile and GRE/GMAT Quantitative score is in 25th percentile.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Three references
- Two-to-three page, double spaced personal statement on what has prompted your interest in obtaining an MPA degree and what appeals to you about the program at Appalachian. Also include your professional plans or ambitions once you have completed your degree.
|County||Location||Semester Start||Application Deadline|
|Catawba||Appalachian Center at Hickory||Fall 2018||July 1, 2018|
|Forsyth||Forsyth Technical Community College||Fall 2019||July 1, 2019|
Hear from an Alumnus
“Perhaps the most important thing about the MPA program at Appalachian State is that it’s grounded in practicality, not just theory. The professors I was fortunate enough to have understand the realities of the public sector workplace. As a result I’ve been able to directly translate what I learned from the MPA program into fulfilling my current job roles and responsibilities, as well as building on the foundation for professional growth. I also enjoyed the interactive nature the classes. Students learned from each other as well as from the professors.”
– Ken Millett