The online Master of Arts in Middle Grades Education degree at Appalachian

The Master of Arts in Middle Grades Education at Appalachian State University is a flexible, online program that will prepare you to become an effective teacher of the middle grades.

Courses provide specialized preparation for individuals seeking to teach in grades six through nine.

This Distance Education program meets the advanced competencies as mandated in the North Carolina Excellent Schools Act for Master-level teacher education programs, leading to a graduate level “M” licensure.

This nationally recognized program is ready for you if you hold a valid "A" teaching license (the "A" license does not have to be in middle grades).

Unlock the next step in your career and transform the lives of your students with Distance Education at Appalachian.

Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Degree details


  • Language arts
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Social studies

Program requirement

If you are without teaching experience in the middle grades, you must successfully complete an internship by taking CI 5900 Internship/Practicum (3 s.h.). This may result in the total number of hours exceeding 39 s.h.

Eligibility and application requirements


Applicants must:

  • hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
  • hold a North Carolina "A" licensure or the equivalent from another state if seeking licensure.

Application requirements:

  • Completed online application to graduate school
  • Resume
  • Official (sealed) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
  • Three references
  • Application fee
  • GRE or MAT scores no older than five years


Semester Start Application Deadline


July 1

Out of State Licensure

Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.