The online Master of Arts in Elementary Education degree at Appalachian
Appalachian State University’s flexible, online Master of Arts in Elementary Education program will help you perfect the skills needed to become an effective elementary teacher.
Courses provide specialized preparation for individuals seeking to teach in the K-6 school setting.
This degree program is designed to meet the advanced competencies as mandated in the North Carolina Excellent Schools Act for Master-level teacher education programs.
You will be taught to understand the nature of the elementary school-age learner in relation to the learning and evaluation process. With this understanding, you will be able to make critical decisions by synthesizing information relative to the development of appropriate living/learning environments.
This Distance Education program leads to a “M” level licensure for elementary grades.
Distance Education at Appalachian: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Elementary school teacher
- Lead teacher
- Click for course information.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- hold a valid North Carolina “A” level teaching license or equivalent from another state.
- have GRE or MAT test scores no older than five years (Click for entrance exam waiver eligibility)
- meet Graduate School admission criteria
NOTE: if the North Carolina teaching license is in an area other than elementary education, before the applicant is eligible to receive the M level license, he or she must pass the elementary education NES Foundations of Reading and General Curriculum Tests.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Three references
- Application fee
If you do not have teaching experience in the elementary grades, you must successfully complete an internship by taking CI 5900 Internship/Practicum (3 s.h.). This may result in the total number of hours exceeding 39 s.h.
|Semester Start||Application Deadline|
Out of State Licensure
Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.