Proposed Undergraduate Programs
Find a preferred program(s) in the list below. Click on the program link to review a description of the program, including program specific application deadlines, the distance education admission requirements, and contact information for the distance education Program Manager. Before beginning the application process, please review all of the important admission/application information and requirements by clicking on each of the modules (e.g, Application, Program Requirements, Gen Ed Requirements, etc.) in the left menu bar. When you are ready to Get Started, click on the Application link.
Appalachian State University reserves the right to cancel the start of any Distance Education program due to the lack of sufficient, sustainable enrollment (typically 15 for Graduate programs and 18 for Undergraduate programs). In the event of a cancellation for insufficient enrollment, application fees will be refunded. Refunds will also be issued for any tuition and fees paid by applicants. These refund policies apply ONLY to canceled programs. When program starts are delayed, students may opt for a refund or apply their application to the new semester.
Create an AppConnect account to join our mailing list and learn more about Distance Education with Appalachian State University. You will also receive event invitations, program announcements, and more.
|Program||Major Code||Major||Full or Part Time||County||Location||Proposed Start Date(s)|
|Business Education (BS)||407B||Business Education||FT||Online||N/A||Fall 2014|
|Child Development (BS) - BK||524A||Child Development||PT||Catawba||Hybrid; (online and some face-to-face class meetings)||Fall 2015|
|Communication (BS) - Advertising||507A||Communication||FT||Online||N/A||Fall 2015|
|Communication Studies (BS)||585A||Communication Studies||
|Criminal Justice (BSCJ)||220A||Criminal Justice||FT||Catawba||ASU Hickory||Fall 2015|
|Elementary Education (BS) (FT)||441A||Elementary Education||FT||Caldwell||ASU Caldwell||Fall 2015|
|Elementary Education (BS) (PT)||441A||Elementary Education||PT||Burke||ASU Burke||Fall 2016|
|Elementary Education (BS) (PT)||441A||Elementary Education||PT||Catawba||ASU Hickory||TBD|
|Elementary Education (BS) (PT)||441A||Elementary Education||PT||Wilkes||WIlkes CC||Spring 2016|
|Elementary Education (BS) (PT)||441A||Elementary Education||PT||Yadkin||Yadkin Center, Surry CC||TBD|
|Health Promotion (BS)||509A||Health Promotion||PT||Online||N/A||Summer 2015|
|Online||N/A||Spring 2015, Fall 2015|
|Middle Grades Education (BS) – Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies (FT)||470* (B, C, D, E)||Middle Grades Education, *Concentrations: Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies||FT||Catawba||ASU Hickory||TBD|
|Middle Grades Education (BS) – Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies (PT)||470* (B, C, D, E)||Middle Grades Education, *Concentrations: Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies||PT||TBD||TBD|
|Nursing (RN-BSN)||563A||Nursing||PT||Online||N/A||Fall 2015|
|Social Work (BSW) FT||281A||Social Work||FT||Burke||ASU Burke||Fall 2015|
|Social Work (BSW) PT||281A||Social Work||PT||Catawba||ASU Hickory||Fall 2016|
|Special Education (BS) - General Curriculum K-12, Adapted Curriculum K-12||478* (B, C)||Special Education (*Concentrations in General Curriculum K-12 and Adapted Curriculum K-12)||PT||Catawba||ASU Hickory||Spring 2016|
- Typically, promotional meetings (i.e., information sessions) are conducted 5-10 months prior to the beginning of the proposed cohort. The listing of information sessions currently scheduled may be found in the Distance Calendar.
- Where no "year" is given in the Start field, a new cohort is admitted each year in the semester indicated.
- Where no Location or Start date is provided, future locations/start dates have not been set. Please check later for updates.
- Applications should be completed and submitted by the deadline for the semester of entry as the decision to begin the proposed cohort will be made based on the number of applications received or in progress at that time. Applications may be accepted after the deadline but this depends upon academic departmental deadlines and space availability.
- Effective July 1, 2011 federal regulations will require all institutions of higher education (including Appalachian State) that deliver online instruction (whether part of an online or site-based degree program) to have written authorization from the state in which each student resides. If you reside outside of North Carolina and intend to apply to one of Appalachian’s distance education programs, please notify the program manager (see program information page for contact info).
- Review the tips found on this webpage (opens in a new window) for seeking and applying for transfer to the right program and institution.
ASU Box 32054
2nd Floor, University Hall
400 University Hall Drive
Boone, NC 28608