With Distance Education at Appalachian, you are connected to the Appalachian campus with access to world-class professors and top-notch Mountaineer resources, without most of the fees applicable to on-campus students. Learn about financial aid, identify scholarship opportunities and determine the best options for you.
Tuition and Fees
For current tuition and fees, visit Student Accounts.
* Students registered for a combination of Distance Education and main campus courses should visit Registering for Main Campus Courses.
In addition to tuition and fees, other costs associated with the academic programs could include:
- The non-refundable application fee (except when a cohort is canceled due to insufficient interest)
- Textbooks (Distance Education students are not eligible to participate in the Campus Bookstore's textbook rental program).
- Course-specific materials as specified by the faculty teaching the course.
- The cost of required admission tests (e.g. GRE or MAT for admission to graduate programs, the Praxis I and Praxis II for teacher education majors and licensure candidates)
- Unique, specific software or hardware
- Parking fee, if required by the host site
- The graduation fee
- The cost of the cap and gown, if participating in the ceremony
Residency For Tuition Purposes
The determination of who qualifies for in-state tuition rates is made by the Registrar's Office at Appalachian State University, according to the N.C. General Statutes, based on the information supplied by the applicant on his/her application. Applicants are notified via their letter of admission of the determination. Questions regarding residency should be directed, via email, to the University Residency Officer in the Registrar's Office.
Financial aid is available to Appalachian State's distance education students under the same guidelines, rules, and process that apply to on-campus students. To access the FAFSA, instructions and information, visit Financial Aid. Information tailored to the needs of Distance Education students is available.
Veterans Benefit/Military Tuition
The North Carolina General Statutes provide for a military tuition rate to qualified members of the U.S. armed forces and their qualified dependents that is less than the non-resident tuition rate charged to out-of-state students. Applicants must meet the criteria established for qualification in order to be eligible.
The Registrar’s Office at Appalachian is ready to assist veterans, active duty military personnel and their dependents. Applicants who believe they (or their dependents) might qualify for this benefit should review Military Benefits.
Reduction Course Drop/Withdrawal Refunds
Students who are contemplating drop/withdrawal and who receive Financial Aid should review the FinAid withdrawal policies for the impact of this action on any financial aid which they receive. Under certain circumstances drop and/or withdrawal from courses may result in required repayment of funds received. [Learn More]
ASU Box 32054
2nd Floor, University Hall
400 University Hall Drive
Boone, NC 28608